I am so confident you’re going to love this Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Cream of Mushroom Soup! My family always devours it, and the kids don’t even mind the bits of mushroom from the soup. It’s an easy dump-and-start recipe that is ready in no time. I have served it as a side, but sometimes it’s enough to stand alone with a warm biscuit on the side.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure.
I love making homemade macaroni and cheese in my pressure cooker because it’s so easy and I love the one-pot clean up! My original recipe for Instant Pot Mac and Cheese has a four-cheese combination and has always been very popular on the blog because it’s super flavorful and easy to make. I also have a delicious Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese recipe that is awesome.
For this macaroni and cheese recipe, I wanted something easy that you can make with whatever cheese you have on hand and still get delicious results. If you’re a cooking pro and have no questions whatsoever, scroll on down to the recipe card at the bottom of the post and get cooking. If not, take a look at the questions, tips, and step-by-step below.
What Cheese Is Best for This Macaroni and Cheese Recipe?
I have made this recipe for Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Cream of Mushroom Soup many times and have used many different kinds of cheese. I try to always include the parmesan, but as far as the shredded cheese, there are a few different options you could choose from.
My favorite so far has been the H-E-B Three Cheese Cheddar Blend which has mild and sharp cheddar and fontina. I have also made it with only mild cheddar, with only sharp cheddar, and with a combination of both. Every time, it has been delicious!
Why Use Cream of Mushroom Soup in Mac and Cheese?
Why not? Seriously though, it makes the mac and cheese so incredibly creamy and delicious. In my opinion, the cream of mushroom soup also gives it a slight saltiness that is amazing! You will love it!
Ingredients for Macaroni and Cheese With Cream of Mushroom
This Macaroni and Cheese is a super easy dump-and-start recipe with only a few basic ingredients. Below you will find the full list of ingredients with a small description for each.
- Elbow Macaroni: You will need one pound of elbow macaroni. I like to use Barilla most of the time but have used other brands as well. Any brand will do.
- Unslated Chicken Stock: You will also need four cups of unsalted chicken stock. I usually buy Kitchen Basics when it’s available. I like the flavor of this one more than most others.
- Salted Butter: You need two tablespoons of salted butter for this recipe.
- Cream of Mushroom: You will need one 10.5-ounce can of cream of mushroom soup. I like Campbell’s soups but any brand of cream of mushroom will work.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: You need two cups (8 ounces) of shredded cheese. I’ve made this recipe with several different kinds of cheese, but my favorite is H-E-B Three Cheese Cheddar Blend. If you’re in Texas, I recommend it!
- Parmesan Cheese: You will also need half a cup of grated parmesan cheese.
That’s it! All pretty basic ingredients most of us have on hand. That is one of the reasons I love this recipe so much.
Substitutions for This Mac and Cheese Recipe
I always get lots of questions about swapping ingredients out in recipes. Below, I’ve included the questions you’re probably going to ask me, so I’ve gone ahead and answered them. If you have questions I haven’t covered, please leave them in the comments section below and I’ll do my best to respond.
Can I Use Salted Chicken Stock?
You can use salted chicken stock instead of unsalted, but if you do, you should use half a teaspoon of salt instead of two teaspoons. Adjusting the amount of salt will help prevent the dish from being too salty.
Can I Use Homemade Cream of Mushroom Instead of a Can?
If you absolutely cannot use a can of cream of mushroom soup, then, by all means, you can make your own. I have an easy and delicious recipe for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup you can try! If you want to save some time, then you can use the can.
Can I Use a Different Kind of Pasta?
You can use a different kind of pasta, but keep in mind, the cooking time may need to be adjusted. This recipe calls for elbow macaroni. A good substitute that will cook in the same amount of time is rotini pasta.
Here are some essential prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Here is a list of the products featured in this post or products similar to those featured in this post:
- Instant Pot
- Silicone Basting Spoon
- Mini Silicone Spatulas
- Liquid Measuring Cups
- Pinch Bowls
- Measuring Spoons
12 Must-Have Instant Pot Cookbooks
If you’re looking for a cookbook with easy and reliable Instant Pot recipes, then check out my list of approved Instant Pot Cookbooks.
Here, I’m providing step-by-step instructions for this recipe to help ensure you end up with the best results. This recipe is super easy to make, so if you’re well versed in using your Instant Pot, you can skip this part and go straight to the printable recipe card below. It’s a dump-and-start recipe and requires virtually no prep other than gathering your ingredients. So, let’s get started making this easy Instant Pot pasta recipe.
Gather and measure out the ingredients for this recipe before getting started. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cups of Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 1 pound of Elbow Pasta
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ a cup of Milk
- ½ a cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
First, pour four cups of unsalted chicken stock into the Instant Pot. Next, add the one pound of elbow macaroni pasta evenly over the bottom of the pot. Make sure that most of the pasta is submerged under the broth.
Add the two tablespoons of butter on top and sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the pasta.
Use a small spatula to scoop the cream of mushroom soup out of the can and on top of the pasta. Just let the soup sit on top of the pasta, do not mix it in.
Close the Instant Pot and set the pressure release valve to ‘Sealing’. Press the ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’ button and make sure that the pressure level is set to ‘High Pressure’. Use the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ buttons to adjust the cooking time to 4 minutes.
Once the cooking time has completed, allow for a 2 minute NPR (natural pressure release). That means that you’ll let the pot sit until the digital display counts up to two minutes. Once the display reads ‘L0:02’, you can manually release the remaining pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the ‘Venting’ position.
Once all the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped, open the pot and give all the ingredients a quick stir.
Add the milk, grated parmesan cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese mix to the Instant Pot and mix everything well until all the cheese has fully melted and incorporated into the pasta.
That’s it! It only took a few minutes to make, and this wonderful pasta dish is already ready to serve. Now it’s time for you to enjoy this comforting dump and start pasta dish. I promise, your family will gobble this one up in no time.
Did you make this pasta recipe? I know you will absolutely love this Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe as much as we do! Please, let me know in the comments when you try it.
MORE QUICK, EASY, AND DELICIOUS MACARONI PASTA RECIPES
Here are a few more macaroni pasta recipes that I know you’ll love:
- Perfect Instant Pot Mac and Cheese (4 cheese)
- Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Beef and Macaroni Casserole
Looking for even more pasta recipes to make in the Instant Pot? If you want to try making fettuccine in the pressure cooker, check out my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo. And for a restaurant-quality meal, try my Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta.
For a full list of all the pressure cooker pasta recipes on this blog, check out my Instant Pot Pasta Recipes post.
Need a main meal to go with this Macaroni and Cheese? If you’re looking for a perfect main course for this recipe, then try my Simple Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs or my Oven-Baked Mexican Chicken Breast recipes. They’re so delicious and a perfect complement to this creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese!
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Cream of Mushroom Soup
ELBOW PASTA, CREAM OF MUSHROOM, AND A MIX OF CHEDDAR CHEESES
- Add Stock and Pasta: Pour the unsalted chicken stock into the pot, then spread the elbow pasta evenly across the bottom of the liner. Ensure that most of the pasta is submerged in the chicken stock.
- Add Butter, Salt, and Pepper: Next, add the butter by just placing it on top of the pasta. Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the pasta.
- Add Cream of Mushroom Soup: Scoop the cream of mushroom soup over the pasta. Do not mix it in.
- 4-Minute Cook Time: Close the Instant Pot, set it to ‘Sealing’, select the ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’ function and cook on ‘High Pressure’ for 4 minutes.
- 2-Minute NPR: Once cooking has finished, allow for a 2 minute NPR (natural pressure release). Release the remaining pressure after the two minutes have completed. Once all the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped, open the pot and give the ingredients a good mix.
- Add Milk and Cheeses: Add the milk, parmesan cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese to the pot and mix them in until the cheeses melt completely.
- Serve and enjoy!