I have several recipes that call for canned cream of soups and I always get requests for an alternative to using cans. I recently shared my Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup, so naturally, I’m following up with this creamy and delicious Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure.
Canned vs. Homemade
As you know, I’m a fan of easy and when you need to make a meal quickly, canned cream of soups are a great alternative. But when you have a little more time, nothing beats homemade. It’s always nice to know exactly what’s in your food.
Making homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is easier than you think and only takes a little bit of time and a few ingredients.
Ingredients for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
In order to make this easy homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, you’ll need flour, butter, milk, button or cremini mushrooms, and Better than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base. If you haven’t tried Better than Bouillon you’re missing out. It’s made with wholesome ingredients and it adds amazing flavor to your foods.
I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of mushrooms. I don’t eat them alone. I do, however like adding cream of mushroom soup to lots of recipes. Ryan loves mushrooms, though, so this cream of mushroom soup is a huge hit with him.
How Do You Make Cream of Mushroom Soup?
You’ll be making this easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup on the stove in a saucepan. You’ll start by mixing 1/2 a cup of the milk, the flour, and the Better than Bouillon in a mixing bowl or large measuring cup. You can use a fork or whisk for this. Next, you will melt the butter in the saucepan. When the butter is melted and hot, you need to sauté the chopped mushrooms for a few minutes until they are browned and tender.
Once the mushrooms are finished sautéing, you can add the remaining cup of milk and stir it all together. When the milk begins to get frothy, you will add the milk and flour mixture you made at the beginning. Make sure to add it slowly. Once it all begins to boil and thicken, you can turn off the heat, but continue stirring as the soup cools.
Here are some essential prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
As for storing your homemade cream of mushroom soup, I recommend putting it in mason jars. Of course, you will need to refrigerate whatever you don’t use. This recipe makes enough to substitute for one can of cream of mushroom soup.
You can use this soup to make my super delicious Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Cream of Mushroom. Just replace the can of cream soup it calls for. You can also double this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup and use it in my Easy Peasy Beef Casserole which calls for two cans of cream of mushroom soup. I also have a pressure cooker version of the same recipe, Instant Pot Beef & Macaroni Casserole. And if what you need is Cream of Chicken Soup, then check out my Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe. It’s super easy!
I know you’ll love how easy and delicious this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is. Let me know what dish you add it to when you try it!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
CREMINI MUSHROOMS, MILK, FLOUR, BUTTER, AND ROASTED BEEF BOUILLON
- Using a fork, whisk the flour, and the beef flavored Better Than Bouillon with 1/2 a cup of the milk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. As soon as the butter is fully melted and hot, add the mushrooms to the saucepan, toss in the butter, season with salt and pepper to taste, then spread the mushrooms out in a single layer.
- Sauté the mushrooms, undisturbed, until the bottoms brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining cup of milk to the saucepan, continually whisking with a fork as the milk heats up.
- Once the milk in the saucepan begins to get frothy and boil, slowly add the milk and flour mixture to the saucepan, continually whisking as you add it.
- Turn off the heat just before the soup reaches your desired consistency. Continue whisking for another minute or two as the soup cools.
- Use as a substitute for any recipe that calls for canned cream of mushroom soup.