We eat a lot of mashed potatoes! We love having it as a side with so many meals. I must confess though, I had never made real mashed potatoes until a few months ago. Yes, I used the packets of flakes. They’re fast and easy to make and they taste good enough. I mean, at the beginning I missed the taste of the mashed potatoes I grew up on, but after so many years, I got used to it.
These Mashed Potatoes Really Are Amazing
Well, I made mashed potatoes in my Instant Pot a few months ago and oh my gosh! I feel bad I’ve been depriving my kids of this amazingness all these years. It’s one of those things that took way too much time for me to even consider making them from scratch. Until the Instant Pot that is.
No waiting for the water to boil, no draining of the water, and ready in very little time! The end result is amazingly tasty and creamy mashed potatoes. The real deal.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Before we get started, here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the items I used to prep and make this recipe:
- For cleaning the potatoes, I always use my vegetable brush to get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies.
- I recently got this amazing vegetable peeler. I had always heard people rave about it but didn’t realize how great it was until I tried it. It sure makes quick work of peeling potatoes.
- My beloved aqua knives helped me quarter these potatoes with ease.
- There is no reason why kitchen utensils can’t be both beautiful and functional. That’s why I love my measuring cup and measuring spoons so much. They are both so pretty and practical all at the same time.
- To keep my hands protected and keep the pot from slipping as I mashed the potatoes, I used my Instant Pot mini mitts to grip the pot and keep it steady. They’re great because they are easy to slip on and have ridges on the palm side so that I can keep a good grip on things so I don’t have to worry about them slipping out of my hands.
- I have just about every piece of this aqua utensil set and that includes the wire masher I used to mash these potatoes. The set is so beautiful and fits my decor perfectly. I have most of it in a cute utensil holder on the counter because they are that pretty. Not only do they look great but they are also high quality utensils.
Appliances & Cookware
This mashed potato recipe was made 100% in my Instant Pot.
Serving Platters & Dishes
Must-Have Instant Pot Accessories
Don’t forget to check out my post on Must-Have Accessories for the Instant Pot. It’s a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with the Instant Pot.
Must-Have Instant Pot Cookbooks
I have also put together a list of Must-Have Cookbooks for the Instant Pot.
Making Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Here are the simple steps I followed to make perfect no drain Instant Pot mashed potatoes.
Wash, Peel and Cut the Potatoes
First, make sure you wash and peel your potatoes. I usually make mine with red potatoes. I’ve made them with and without the peel depending on what mood I’m in. If you leave the peel on, make sure to wash them well.
Once washed and peeled, quarter your potatoes.
Add Water and Salt
Water and salt are all that’s necessary before turning on the Instant Pot.
Cook in the Instant Pot for 10 Minutes
10 minutes cooking time is all it takes to get perfectly cooked mashed potatoes. The Instant Pot makes it so easy.
Mash the Cooked Potatoes
Once they’re finished cooking, do a Quick Pressure Release (QPR), open the Instant Pot and begin smashing the potatoes.
Add Milk and Butter
The only other ingredients that I add to this recipe are milk and butter. That’s it. I mean, why complicate things? Right?
Continue Mixing Until Smooth and Creamy
I like my potatoes a little firm, so I use a cup of whole milk in my potatoes. If you like creamier potatoes, then just add a bit more milk.
Serve Your Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Your Favorite Dish
Now you can enjoy your delicious mashed potatoes as a side to your favorite dish! Beef Stew, Pot Roast, Turkey, Chicken, whatever tickles your fancy! If you enjoy flavored mashed potatoes you can also add things like ranch, bacon, chives, garlic and so on.
Try making these mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot and you’ll probably never go back to making them on the stove! How do you eat your mashed potatoes?
Perfect Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
with peeled red potatoes
cooking The Potatoes
- 5 lbs red potatoes rinsed, peeled, and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsps kosher salt or to taste
to add After Cooking
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk adjust to desired consistency
- Wash, peel and quarter the potatoes and add to the Instant Pot.
- Add the water and salt to the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensure that the pressure release valve is set to sealing and set your Instant Pot to cook on Manual / Pressure Cook, High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do a Quick Pressure Release (QPR) once the 10 minute cooking time has completed.
- Mash the potatoes well and then add the milk and butter to the mashed potatoes and mix them in well. You may add more milk for creamier potatoes.
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.