Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is incredibly easy to make and so versatile! You can use it in so many things and it’s a wonderful source of protein. It takes very little time to make shredded chicken in your pressure cooker and you’ll always end up with juicy and delicious chicken breasts.
I have and use so many recipes that call for shredded chicken breast. Instant Pot White Chicken Chili, Chicken Couscous, just to name a few. I’ll be honest, I would usually buy the packaged shredded chicken at the supermarket because it’s so much easier. Ever since I got an Instant Pot, though, I’ve been making it in there and it really is easy and a whole lot cheaper!
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Instant Pot recipe for later.
Should I Use Chicken Stock or Water?
When making shredded chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can use either water or chicken stock. I prefer to use stock since it makes the chicken a lot more flavorful. I like using unsalted chicken stock so I can control the sodium content.
If you want to give the shredded chicken a bit more flavor, feel free to use a bit of salt and pepper, or even other seasonings like Italian Seasoning. I usually make my shredded chicken breasts for use in other recipes, so I stick with just using stock. When using it for salads or wraps, then I add some other seasonings.
What Can I Use Shredded Chicken For?
Oh, the possibilities are endless when it comes to recipes for shredded chicken! I personally have several recipes on the blog that are easy and delicious. You can use it in one of my family’s favorite dips and my chicken tacos recipe. Make salads, wraps, enchiladas, soup, and nachos.
Use it in my Instant Pot White Chicken Chili and Chicken Couscous. Also, try it in my recipe for our version of Chicken à la King. You can use shredded chicken in sandwiches, make chicken salad with it, casseroles, and I could go on and on! It’s so easy to make in the Instant Pot, you can make it often and always have it on hand for a recipe.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
This is a simple recipe and doesn’t require many tools or utensils. These are the items I used to make this recipe:
- Always check the temperature of the chicken breasts using a kitchen thermometer before removing them to shred.
- To avoid burning the chicken, make sure and use the trivet or a cooking rack.
- I use this small measuring cup constantly. It’s a one cup measuring cup which makes it very convenient for measuring small amounts of liquid. So, if you’re measuring a cup or less, this one is so much easier to handle than the larger 2 or 4 cup measuring cups.
- These metal tongs are a must for any kitchen. They’re especially great for handling raw meats like chicken, which I hate touching with my hands. I’ve tried various plastic and silicone tongs but nothing beats a good pair of metal tongs.
- You can shred the chicken using a heavy cutting board and two forks. These shredding claws make the job even easier. But my preferred method is to leave the chicken in the pot and use my hand mixer to shred it.
Appliances & Cookware
Instant Pot Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Accessories for the Instant Pot. You’ll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
All you need to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot is chicken breasts, chicken broth, and a pressure cooker, of course! I also like to use my trivet when making chicken breasts in my Instant Pot. A pair of tongs is also essential if you’re like me and can’t stand touching raw chicken.
Set the Instant Pot to ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’, High Pressure for 10 minutes. After cooking has completed, perform a 5-minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR). Release any remaining pressure after 5 minutes have passed. Once all the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped you can open the pot.
You’ll have perfectly cooked, juicy chicken breasts. They come out perfect every time, and I can quickly make any of my family’s favorite recipes that call for shredded chicken. As far as the shredding, I love using my hand mixer! It makes the job so much easier. Just make sure to let the chicken cool a little before shredding it.
I hope you try making this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken soon! When you do, please leave a 5-star rating and a comment letting me know what recipe you made using this shredded chicken!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast
Chicken Breasts Pressure Cooked in Stock and Shredded
- Add Chicken to Pot: Stack the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet and then pour the chicken stock over the chicken breasts.
- 10-Minute Cook Time: Close the Instant Pot, set the pressure release valve to 'Sealing' and cook on 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook', 'High Pressure' for 10 minutes.
- 5-minute NPR: Once the cooking time has completed, allow for a 5-minute Natural Pressure Release. After the 5-minute NPR has finished, open the pressure release valve to release the remaining pressure. Open the pot.
- Remove and Shred: Ensure that the chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of 165° F before removing. Then carefully remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place in a large bowl and shred.
- Your chicken is ready to use in any recipe!
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.