I have had many requests for an alternative to canned cream of chicken soup. As a mother of 5, I like the convenience of using cans here in there in my cooking for the sake of saving time. But when I have the extra time, it’s always fun to come up with from-scratch alternatives for my recipes.
Canned vs. Homemade
Now, don’t get me wrong, as I said before, I have no issues with using cans in my cooking. I love easy and a lot of my readers are here for that reason: easy recipes. In reality, though, it is a healthier alternative to make things yourself so you know exactly what’s in your food. So when I can come up with a recipe that’s from-scratch AND easy, I’m excited to share it with you.
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Cream of Chicken Soup recipe for later.
This Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup takes about 5 minutes to make and is a better alternative to canned cream of soup. It requires very common ingredients, most of which you probably already have at home! You can use it instead of the cans in my very popular Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe. You will need a double batch of the soup for that recipe.
Ingredients for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes and you can make your own homemade Cream of Chicken Soup! You’ll need flour, milk, heavy cream, and butter. And the most important ingredient, Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base. This stuff is amazing. It’s made with roasted chicken so the flavor is to die for.
Once you have all your ingredients, you just need a stove and a pot and you’re ready to go!
How Do You Make Cream of Chicken Soup?
It’s so easy to make your own homemade cream of chicken soup. I must admit, it’s easier than I expected. You’ll start by mixing the flour, the Better than Bouillon and 1/2 a cup of the milk in a bowl. You can use a fork to mix. Once done, you can set it aside. You will then melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter is fully melted, you can add the remaining milk and stir it in with the butter. Keep stirring constantly. Once the milk begins to get frothy you can slowly add the milk mixture you had set aside.
You will need to stir constantly as the soup will begin to boil and thicken. You will then turn off the heat and continue stirring as the soup cools. Easy right?
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
As for storing your homemade cream of chicken soup, I recommend putting it in mason jars like these. Of course, you will need to refrigerate whatever you don’t use. This recipe makes enough to substitute for one can of cream of chicken soup.
I know you will love how easy, quick, and delicious this Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup is. Let me know in the comments when you try it. I’d love to hear what dish you use it in!
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Creamy Soup Made With Milk, Flour, Butter, and Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk divided
- 3 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsps Better than Bouillon roasted chicken flavor
- Using a fork, whisk the flour, and the chicken flavored Better Than Bouillon with 1/2 a cup of the milk until you have a smooth mixture. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- As soon as the butter is fully melted, add the remaining cup of milk to the saucepan, continually whisking with a fork as the milk heats up.
- Once the milk in the saucepan begins to get frothy and boil, slowly add the milk and flour mixture to the saucepan, continually whisking as you add it.
- Continue to whisk as the soup begins to bubble and thicken.
- Turn off the heat just before the soup reaches your desired consistency. Continue whisking for another minute or two as the soup cools.
- Use as a substitute for any recipe that calls for canned cream of chicken soup.
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.