I’m excited to bring you a little taste of the tropical coast of Honduras! One of our most popular desserts, Flan de Coco, or Coconut Flan, can now be easily made in your pressure cooker right at home.
What is Flan de Coco?
Flan de Coco is a popular dessert in Honduras. It’s a delicious custard-like dessert with coconut flavor and shredded coconut in every bite. It’s most popular along the coast and the islands where coconut is abundant, but you can certainly enjoy it anywhere in the country.
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Instant Pot Coconut Flan recipe for later.
You may have already tried my Instant Pot Flan recipe. It’s one of the most popular recipes on the blog. Well, this Instant Pot Coconut Flan is a step above! If you’re a fan of coconut, this is the dessert for you!
What Pan Should I Use to Make Flan?
I’ve tried all kinds of pans to make my flan in the Instant Pot. By far, the one that gave me the best results is this one. You have to be aware that you CANNOT use a push pan or a springform pan to make flan in your pressure cooker. The caramel will leak out of both of those when cooking and you’ll end up with a big mess.
If you don’t have a flan pan like mine and you want to make this dessert now, you can use a closed bottom pan that will fit in your pot. You can also use ramekins for small, individual flans, but the cooking time will be different. I’m working on a separate recipe for this and it’ll be out soon.
Tips for Making the Caramel
In my opinion, the hardest part about making flan is making the caramel. I have the worst time getting it right because I’m not patient and patience is key. Therefore, I usually delegate this task to Ryan!
All you need is sugar to make caramel. Well, sugar and patience! You have to keep your eyes on it at all times and just keep stirring. Once the caramel is done, it can go from perfect to burnt in no time. So when all the clumps of sugar are gone, make sure to remove it from the heat immediately.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the prep tools that I used to make this deliciously rich and coconuty flan.
Appliances & Cookware
Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories. You’ll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your electric pressure cooker.
I have detailed pictures of the caramel making process in my original Instant Pot Flan recipe. One last thing, when pouring the caramel into the flan pan, be extremely careful. The caramel is very hot and will burn you easily.
I’m excited for you to try this Flan de Coco or Instant Pot Coconut Flan. I’d love to hear about it in the comments when you do. If you’re interested in another variation of the flan, try my Instant Pot Chocoflan. It’s amazing!
Instant Pot Coconut Flan
A Rich and Creamy Flan Loaded With Coconut Flavor
for the Caramel Topping
- ½ cup granulated sugar
for the Flan
- ½ can coconut milk 13.5 fl. oz
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed, ½ an 8 oz bar
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut firmly packed
for the Caramel Topping
- Add the sugar to a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, continually stirring the sugar as it heats. The sugar will first begin to clump after 5 or 6 minutes and then slowly start to melt and darken creating the caramel. Continue to stir, allowing the sugar to cook until all of the clumps have dissolved. The entire process takes about 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove the caramel from the stove and pour into the flan pan. Leaving the caramel on the stove any longer could cause it to burn. When pouring the caramel into the flan pan, make sure to spread it evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Very carefully rotate the pan so that the caramel coats the sides of the pan about halfway up. Caution: the caramel is extremely hot and can cause severe burns, so always handle it very carefully. Continue rotating the caramel as it cools and hardens to the point that it no longer flows around the pan.
- Set the pan aside and allow the caramel to continue cooling while you prepare the flan. The caramel will crack as it cools.
for the Flan
- Add the coconut milk, cream cheese, condensed milk, eggs, and coconut to a blender and pulse on high speed until fully mixed.
- Pour the flan mixture into the flan pan over the caramel coating. You will hear the caramel begin to crack and make popping sounds as you're pouring. Close and seal the flan pan. If you don't have a covered flan pan, use foil to cover your flan.
- Add the 3 cups of water to your Instant Pot and, using the trivet, carefully place the covered flan pan in the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" High Pressure for 14 minutes. Once the flan has completed its cooking time, allow for a full Natural Pressure Release.
- Carefully remove the flan from your Instant Pot and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before unmolding. You'll get the best results by leaving the flan in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the flan pan from the refrigerator, remove the cover, and run a knife along the sides of the pan, separating the flan from the edges of the pan.
- To unmold the flan, place a plate over the top of the pan and, holding the plate firmly to the top of the flan pan, carefully flip the flan over so that it releases from the pan onto the plate.
- Set the plate on the countertop and then gently lift the flan pan to reveal this beautifully delicious caramel covered dessert.
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.