This is one of the most amazing desserts you can make in your Instant Pot. If you love chocolate cake and you love flan, this Instant Pot Chocoflan is the answer to your dessert prayers!
What is Chocoflan?
Chocoflan, also known as Impossible Flan is an incredibly beautiful and delicious cake with two layers. One layer is a decadent dark chocolate cake and the other layer is a creamy and delicious flan. Sounds amazing, right? It is!
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Instant Pot dessert recipe to Pinterest.
It’s called impossible flan because it seems impossible the cake would layer so beautifully when baking it, or in this case, pressure cooking it. When you originally pour it in the baking pan, the cake batter goes at the bottom and the flan mixture layers on top. But when it bakes, magic (or science) happens and the two layers switch positions.
What Chocolate Cake Mix Should I Use?
I recommend using Devil’s Food Cake Mix. You will make the box cake mix according to the instructions on the box BUT you will only be using half the batter. You can make chocolate cupcakes with the remaining half, or another chocoflan, like my super-duper special Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan. That one is a doozie!!
I usually use the Pillsbury Devil’s Food cake mix but you can use whatever brand you prefer. Devil’s Food chocolate cake is slightly darker and richer than regular chocolate cake and is perfect for this recipe. It is not bitter like dark chocolate. It’s just chocolatey and delicious!
How Do You Make the Caramel for Flan?
Making the caramel for any flan is probably the hardest part of the recipe. The only reason it’s hard is that it requires patience. That’s not my strong suit! As long as you’re patient, your caramel will be perfect!
You will only need sugar to make the caramel. That’s it, no other special ingredients. You will heat the sugar on the stove at medium heat and keep stirring it until it turns to caramel.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the tools and utensils that you’ll need to make this Chocoflan.
- a 7-inch bundt pan and a trivet with handles
- a medium saucepan and wooden turner for caramelizing the sugar
- some mini mitts
Appliances & Cookware
Here are the appliances you’ll need to make this recipe.
Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories. You’ll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your electric pressure cooker.
You need to make sure and remove it from the stove as soon as it looks perfect or it will go from perfect to burnt in the blink of an eye! If you want detailed instructions on making the caramel, I suggest you visit my original Instant Pot Flan recipe where I have a detailed step by step for the caramel making process, with pictures included for every step of the way.
Keep in mind that caramel is extremely hot and you have to handle it with care. When you pour it into the baking pan, do it with caution so you don’t burn yourself.
I’m certain you will love my Instant Pot Chocoflan when you try it! It’s a perfect dessert for a special occasion or for when you need a chocolate and flan fix! Let me know in the comments when you try it!
Instant Pot Chocoflan
Layers of Moist Chocolate Cake and Creamy Custard Topped With Caramel
for the Caramel Topping
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 box chocolate cake mix divided, I prefer Pillsbury Devil Foods Cake
for the Flan
- ½ can evaporated milk ½ of a 12 fl oz can, 6 fl oz
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk ½ of a 14 fl oz can, 7 fl oz
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed, ½ of an 8 oz pkg
for the Instant Pot
- 3 cups water
making the Caramel Topping
- Caramelize Sugar: Heat the sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir the sugar constantly. It will first start to clump and once it begins getting hot enough it will start to turn a golden brown and melt into a caramel. Continually stir until all the sugar has been liquefied and there are no more clumps left in the skillet. Do not leave the stove. Your caramel can go from perfect to burnt in the blink of an eye!
- Pour Caramel into Bundt Pan: Once all the clumps are gone, immediately pour it into the bottom of a bundt cake pan. Leaving it on the stove any longer could cause the caramel to burn. When pouring the caramel into the cake pan, make sure that it is spread evenly across the bottom of the entire pan.
- Coat Bundt Pan with Caramel: Very carefully rotate the pan so that the caramel will also partially cover the sides of the cake pan as well. The caramel is extremely hot and can cause severe burns if you get it on yourself, so make sure to always handle it very carefully. Keep rotating the caramel until it cools and hardens to the point that it no longer moves around.
- Set Bundt Pan Aside: Set the cake pan aside and allow the caramel to cool and harden.
Preparing the Cake Batter and Flan
- Prepare Cake Batter: Make the cake according to the box instructions. You will only be using half of the cake batter for this recipe. Save the other half for another flan cake or cupcakes.
- Prepare Flan Mixture: Add the evaporated milk, cream cheese (I cube the cream cheese), condensed milk and eggs to a blender. Blend on high until fully mixed.
layering the Chocoflan
- Add Cake Batter: Spoon half of the batter into the bundt pan and spread it out evenly over the hardened caramel. You can use the other half of the cake batter to make another chocoflan, cupcakes, or a mini bundt cake.
- Add Flan Mixture: Pour the flan mixture over the cake batter in the bundt pan and then cover the bundt pan tightly with foil.
setting the Cooking Time
- 20-Minute Cook Time: Add 3 cups of water to the Instant Pot and carefully place the bundt pan in the pot using the trivet. Close the pot and set it to cook on "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Full NPR: Once the 20-minute cook time has completed, allow for a full NPR (Natural Pressure Release). After the NPR has completed and the pin has dropped, open the Instant Pot and carefully remove the Chocoflan. Set it on the counter to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the refrigerator. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Letting the chocoflan sit in the refrigerator overnight will give the best results.
Unmold and Serve
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and unmold. To unmold the flan, place a plate over the top of the bundt pan and, holding the plate firmly to the top of the bundt pan, carefully flip the flan over so that it releases from the pan onto the plate. You may need to tap on the bottom of the bundt pan a few times to get it to release.
- Enjoy your Chocoflan!
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.