You are going to love me when you make this Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan. The fact that it’s a Chocoflan alone should make you want to try it. Add in the fact that it’s inspired by the Irish Car Bomb cocktail and you’ve got an incredibly delicious gourmet dessert! If you’re searching for an alcohol-free version of this dessert, then try my Instant Pot Chocoflan.
What is an Irish Car Bomb?
An Irish Car Bomb is a cocktail that is made by serving a pint of Guinness Beer and adding a shot glass with Irish Whiskey and Irish Cream in it. As you may know by now, I don’t drink due to an allergy but I can use alcohol in cooking. I’ve actually had some sips of Bailey’s Irish Cream and it is to die for!
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan for later.
Well, when Ryan and I set out to create this dessert I was concerned about the alcohol in it. To my amazement, it didn’t affect me at all. Oh my gosh, it was one of the best things ever!!
What’s a Chocoflan?
A chocoflan is just what you imagine, a dessert with chocolate and flan in it. I’ve heard it called the impossible cake as well. The reason for this is that when you pour it into the baking dish, you pour the cake batter in first and the flan mixture on top. During cooking, though, the two switch places. Like magic! (or science, of course!)
It’s traditionally made in the oven, in a water bath but making this dessert in the Instant Pot is easy. You won’t believe how beautiful and delicious the result is. Now, if you haven’t made a regular flan yet, you have to try my recipe for Instant Pot Flan. Absolute perfection!
What about the Caramel for the Flan?
When making regular flan, I make the caramel by simply melting sugar on the stove. The caramel goes in as the first layer and cooks with the flan. In our trials for this Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan, we didn’t particularly like the way the caramel turned out after adding the whiskey and cooking it at the same time as the flan. So for this flan, we came up with something different, and quite honestly, amazing!
Ryan came up with his own caramel sauce which he made entirely on the stove when we were ready to unmold the Chocoflan. He added just the right amount of Whiskey to it and cooked it through. After unmolding the Instant Pot Chocoflan, we added the caramel on top. Perfection!
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
While this recipe is fairly simple, it does require a few steps and a few different prep tools and utensils. These are the items I used to prep and make this recipe:
- I cooked this flan in a 7-inch bundt pan which fits in both the 6-quart and 8-quart Instant Pots.
- I use these convenient mini mitts for just about every Instant Pot recipe I make. They’re especially helpful when lifting the hot flan pan out of the Instant Pot.
- I used both a small liquid measuring cup to measure the flan ingredients and a large liquid measuring cup to measure the water that goes into the Instant Pot. I also used some prep bowls and a silicone spatula to make the cake batter.
Appliances & Cookware
This recipe requires both stovetop and Instant Pot cooking. These are the appliances that I used to make this recipe:
- I used my 8-quart Instant Pot to cook the Chocoflan but it should also work just as well in a 6-quart.
- To make the caramel, I heated the ingredients in a stainless steel saucepan and used a silicone spatula to continually stir until a thick caramel was made.
- I used my awesome (fairly new) blender to mix all the flan ingredients together. I used to have a very simple and affordable blender and it served me well for many years. However, now that I’m making many more recipes, I opted to upgrade to a blender that’s more powerful and versatile.
It is important to be patient when making any kind of flan. I know, it’s hard, but you have to let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours before taking it out of the mold. In the case of this Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan, it’s also extremely important to spray your mold generously before filling it with the cake and flan. Since we don’t put the caramel in as the bottom layer in this one, spraying it with oil will ensure it comes out of the mold without a problem.
Preparing the Cake Batter for Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan
For this Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan, you will prepare a box mix cake. You will
I am certain you will LOVE this Instant Pot Dessert! My family and friends all raved about it and I personally can’t get enough! I’d love to hear about it in the comments when you try it!
Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Chocoflan
A Guinness chocolate cake topped with a Bailey’s infused flan and covered in a Jameson whiskey salted caramel
for the Cake Mix
- 1 box devil's food cake mix divided
- 1 cup Guinness Extra Stout beer
for the Flan
make the Cake Batter
- Make the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. The only change you will be making is to replace the water with an equal amount of Guinness Extra Stout beer. I use either Duncan Hines or Pillsbury cake mix. Both call for 1 cup of water which I substitute with 1 cup of Guinness.
- Liberally coat a bundt pan with cooking spray. I prefer Pam coconut oil spray.
- Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan and spread it out evenly. You can use the other half of the cake batter to make another chocoflan, cupcakes, or a mini bundt cake. Follow the instructions on the back of the cake mix box for the cupcakes. You could also try my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes for an extra special treat.
make the Flan
- Add the Baileys Irish Cream, eggs, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk to a blender and pulse on high until fully mixed.
- Pour the flan mixture over the cake batter in the bundt pan and then cover the bundt pan tightly with foil.
- Add 3 cups of water to the Instant Pot and carefully place the bundt pan in the pot using the trivet. Close the pot and set it to cook on "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" High Pressure for 20 minutes and allow for a full NPR (Natural Pressure Release).
- Once the NPR has completed and the pin has dropped, open the Instant Pot and carefully remove the flan. Set it on the counter to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the refrigerator. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Letting the flan sit in the refrigerator overnight will give the best results.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and unmold. To unmold the flan, place a plate over the top of the bundt pan and, holding the plate firmly to the top of the bundt pan, carefully flip the flan over so that it releases from the pan onto the plate. You may need to tap on the bottom of the bundt pan a few times to get it to release.
make the Caramel Topping
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat, and allow to melt.
- Once the butter has melted, add the heavy whipping cream, dark brown sugar, and salt to the saucepan and stir into the butter.
- Allow the caramel mixture to come to a gentle simmer and stir continually until the caramel begins to thicken. Initially, the caramel will look grainy but you will notice that as it heats and thickens, it will get smoother. Don't allow it to thicken too much or it will be difficult to pour onto the flan. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat once the caramel has reached the desired thickness. Allow it to cool for a minute and then add the Jameson Irish Whiskey and stir into the caramel until it is fully mixed in.
- Pour the caramel over the flan while it is still warm.
- Enjoy your Irish "Car Bomb" Flan! It's a real treat!
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.