I am so excited to bring you this Instant Pot cake recipe. The first in my series of Mini Cakes created, especially for the Instant Pot. I spent several days perfecting cakes and testing out different flavors and the results were delicious!
Perfect Lemony Goodness
I’ve been wanting to make a cake in the Instant Pot using a boxed cake mix. I knew cakes could be successful in the Instant Pot since my Turtle Lava Cakes are to die for! I love baking, and I really wanted to start using my Instant Pot for a few more “baked goods”.
I wanted it to be easy and require minimal ingredients. Kind of like a mini sweet treat for when that craving hits (which seems to be often).
Since it’s summertime, I was determined to make my first mini cake a fresh summery flavor. So I put together a few ingredients and what I got was a deliciously moist, perfect Lemon Mini Cake!
A Mini Treat That’s Easy And Hits The Spot
My family raved about this Mini Lemon Cake! It’s got just the right amount of tangy and sweet. It is moist and fluffy, and you can easily eat the whole cake if you get distracted!
Only 4 ingredients! That’s it. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
No need to use a mixer either, you can mix everything by hand, so you’ll have minimal cleanup! I know we all love that.
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Lemon Mini Cake recipe for later!
A Perfect Summer Treat
I spent a few days coming up with flavors for my mini cake series, which meant we got to eat a lot of cake! No one seemed to have a problem with it! I even took out mini slices to my neighbors and their kids one afternoon while they were all gathered outside playing.
Everyone loved the cakes and they all had different opinions about which was their favorite. As for my family, the majority said lemon was tops! I know your family will love it too!
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the items you’ll need to prep and make this recipe:
- For prepping the cake batter, I used one of these colorful prep bowls, these beautiful measuring spoons, and some measuring cups.
- This recipe requires lemon juice for making the glaze. I don’t like hand squeezing lemons because 1. it can get messy, 2. after a few lemons my hands start to cramp, and 3. I’m only able to get half of the juice out of the lemon. I always use a lemon squeezer to make sure I can get every drop out of each lemon. Plus, it’s so much easier on my hands.
- I always make sure to use a good cutting board when cutting lemon because the acid from the lemon juice always ends up staining my countertops. Definitely, want to avoid that.
- To top off the cake, you can lightly zest a lemon. A good lemon zester is one of those kitchen utensils that you won’t use often but is essential to have around.
- I set the cake pan on the trivet before lowering it into the pot. Once the cooking time had completed, I used my mini mitts to lift the trivet out of the hot pot.
Appliances & Cookware
I made this mini cake in my 8-quart Instant Pot using a small bundt pan that I picked up at Aldi – this one should work fine as well. I’ve also made it in a 6″ x 2″ cake pan. It’s not as pretty but gets the job done.
Serving Platters & Dishes
I served this cake on my pretty aqua plates.
Must-Have Instant Pot Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Accessories for the Instant Pot. You’ll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your Instant Pot.
Now it’s your turn to give this Mini Lemon Cake recipe a try!
If you are an Instant Pot beginner I have included a step-by-step below. There’s also some tips and tricks in the recipe card at the bottom of this post to help you make this mini cake even more delicious.
How to Make Lemon Cake in the Instant Pot
This is a super simple recipe – the cake itself only requires 4 ingredients.
Gather your Ingredients
For the cake, you will only need 1 cup of Duncan Hines Signature Lemon Supreme Cake Mix, ½ a teaspoon of baking powder, one egg, and one cup of lemon pie filling. That’s it!
I used a lemon fruit filling that I picked up at my local Kroger grocery store – any lemon fruit filling will work. You can also make your own lemon curd, or use store-bought lemon curd.
Preparing the Cake Batter
Just place the lemon fruit filling, and egg in a mixing bowl and mix by hand with a whisk until they a smooth.
Next, fold the cake mix and baking powder into the wet ingredients using a spatula. Be careful not to over mix – do not mix the batter until smooth. You want the batter to remain somewhat lumpy before pouring it into the cake pan. Avoid using a whisk and definitely, do not use a handheld mixer.
Add the Batter to the Cake Pan
Spray a small cake pan with cooking oil and then pour the batter into the pan.
I used a small bundt pan that I found at Aldi. If you don’t have an Aldi nearby and are unable to find a similar bundt pan then this one should work.
I have also used a small 6″ x 2″ cake pan and it worked perfectly. The bundt pan makes a prettier cake though 🙂
Wrap and Cook
Tightly wrap the cake pan with aluminum foil before placing it into the Instant Pot.
Add two cups of water to the Instant Pot and then place the cake pan on the trivet and lower into the pot.
I suggest that you always use a separate sealing ring when cooking cakes and desserts in your Instant Pot. You don’t want your sweet treats smelling and tasting like garlic or curry powder.
Set the Instant Pot to cook on ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’, High Pressure for 40 minutes.
Once the cooking time has completed, allow for a 15-minute natural pressure release.
Once the NPR has completed, remove the cake from the pot and set it on a cooling rack to cool.
Making the Glaze
For the glaze, you will need to sift ½ a cup of confectioners sugar.
You’ll also need one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Add the lemon juice to the sugar and begin mixing. Continue mixing until the sugar fully dissolves into the lemon juice.
At first, it’s going to seem like the lemon juice is not enough but don’t worry. As you continue stirring, the sugar will be fully dissolved and create a nice glaze.
Add the Glaze to the Cake
While the cake is still sitting on the cooling rack, slowly pour the glaze over the cake until it is fully covered.
Serve and Enjoy
This lemon cake is so delicious! My kids told me that it was their favorite. I hope that it becomes one of your family’s favorites too.
Let me know in the comments below if you try making this delicious Instant Pot Cake.
Instant Pot Lemon Mini Cake
Topped with a sweet lemony glaze.
for the Cake
- 1 cup lemon fruit filling
- 1 egg
- 1 cup lemon cake mix I prefer Duncan Hines Signature Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
for the Glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
making the Lemon Cake
- Add the lemon fruit filling and an egg to a mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly with a whisk.
- Fold the cake mix and baking powder into the wet ingredients with a spatula. Make sure to use ONLY 1 CUP of cake mix and do not use a whisk or an electric mixer for this part. Be careful not to over mix. You want the batter to remain somewhat lumpy.
- Spray a small 6" x 2" cake pan with the cooking spray and pour the cake batter into the pan.
- Tightly cover the cake pan with aluminum foil.
- Add 2 cups of water to the Instant Pot and place the cake pan in the Instant Pot using the trivet.
- Set the Instant Pot on 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook', High Pressure for 40 minutes.
- Once the cook time has completed, allow for a 15 minute NPR (natural pressure release).
- After the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped, open the pot and carefully remove the cake from the pot.
- Remove the foil from the cake pan, then place the cake on a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool.
- After the cake has cooled, pour the glaze over the top of the cake to fully cover.
making the Glaze
- Sift the 1/2 cup of confectioners powdered sugar into a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice and mix until the sugar is fully dissolved.
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.
This is a list of the kitchen tools, utensils and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make this Instant Pot Lemon Mini Cake recipe your own.
Add lemon zest. I don’t usually go this extra step because the cake is super delicious as it is but if I’m having a get-together with friends, I’ll pull out the lemon zester to dress the cake up a bit.
Replace the glaze with frosting. What’s better than a glaze? Cream cheese frosting!
Experiment with flavors. This recipe calls for a lemon flavored cake mix and lemon pie filling, but be adventurous and try other flavors of cake mix and pie filling. As long as you use the same measurements, your cake will come out great.
Here are a few ideas for serving your Instant Pot Lemon Mini Cake.
Add ice cream. This lemon cake goes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or raspberry sorbet.
Serve with tea. Lemon cake is a great reason to invite some friends over for an afternoon tea.