This creamy and delicious Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup tastes just like a green chili chicken enchilada. It’s very easy to make and you can quickly have a hearty meal on the table your entire family will love.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure.
A Quick Meal for a Busy Weeknight
We all have those nights where we’re running around and need a quick meal to warm everyone’s tummies. This soup recipe is perfect for those nights. Plus, we finally have fall weather around here which makes this enchilada soup even better.
We’ve been on a soup kick lately, and the easier the soups are to make, the better. I have so many Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes and this one is no exception. I tried to make it as easy as possible for busy nights, while still making it hearty and delicious.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
To make this Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup or green chili chicken enchilada soup, you’ll need some pre-cooked, shredded chicken. I either make it ahead of time with my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe to use throughout the week or buy the tub of shredded chicken breast from my favorite supermarket. Another option is you could buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it yourself.
You will also need unsalted chicken stock and a handful of simple and flavorful spices including onion powder, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, and salt. You’ll need a can of corn, a large can of tomatillos, a couple of cans of green enchilada sauce, water, masa, cream cheese, and one lime.
If you don’t know what masa is, it’s corn flour used to make corn tortillas. I use the Maseca brand corn flour.
As far as the tomatillos, you’ll want to get the large 28 ounce can. I use the La Costeña brand of tomatillos.
Both the masa and the tomatillos are usually found in the Hispanic section of most supermarkets.
Here are some essential prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Here is a list of the products featured in this post or products similar to those featured in this post:
- Instant Pot
- Ninja Professional Blender
- Lemon Squeezer
- Pinch Bowls
- Measuring Spoons
- 2-Cup Liquid Measuring Cup
- Wooden Utensils
- Glass Food Prep Mixing Bowls
12 Must-Have Instant Pot Cookbooks
If you’re looking for a cookbook with easy and reliable Instant Pot recipes, then check out my list of approved Instant Pot Cookbooks.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup in the Instant Pot
Start by mixing the corn flour or masa into a cup of water until a smooth slurry is formed and then set it aside. Next, blend the tomatillos with their juices in a blender and pulse until completely blended to the consistency of a salsa. Set those aside as well.
Now, layer the ingredients into the pot in the order they are listed in the recipe card. Start with the chicken and stock, and then layer the spices on top.
Next, layer the canned ingredients in the order they are listed. First, pour the can of corn in, with its liquids. Then add the blended tomatillos and, finally, pour the cans of green chile enchilada sauce over the top.
Finally, pour the corn flour slurry on top of everything. It is very important that you do not mix any of the ingredients.
Now, close the lid on your pressure cooker, set the knob to sealing, and set it to cook on high pressure “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” for 2 minutes. Once the cooking time has finished, allow for an 8-minute Natural Pressure Release. Release the rest of the pressure after the 8-minute NPR has passed and leave your pressure cooker on “Keep Warm”. After the pin has dropped, open the pot.
Lastly, add the cream cheese and lime juice to the pot and mix everything until the cream cheese has fully melted. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
Serve a warm bowl of this delicious soup with your favorite Tex-Mex toppings and enjoy! We like to serve ours with fried tortilla strips, Pico de Gallo, and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
I know you and your family will love this delicious Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup. Let me know all about it in the comments when you do try it! For more soup recipes, check out my Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes post.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
SHREDDED CHICKEN, MEXICAN SPICES, TOMATILLOS, AND ENCHILADA SAUCE
the Spices the Canned Ingredients for the Thickener
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup corn flour “masa harina”
to add After Cooking
- Make Thickener: Mix the corn flour into the cup of water until a smooth slurry is formed. Set aside.
- Blend Tomatillos: Add the tomatillos to a blender and pulse until fully blended into a salsa. Set aside.
- Layer Ingredients: Layer the ingredients in the order they are listed. Start with the chicken and stock. Then layer on the spices. Next, layer the canned ingredients in the order they are listed. Finally, pour the thickener over the top of everything. Do not mix any of the ingredients.
- Cook for 2-Minutes: Close the Instant Pot, adjust the pressure release valve to ‘Sealing’ and set the pot to cook on ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’, ‘High Pressure’ for 2 minutes.
- 8-Minute NPR: Once the cooking time has finished, allow for an 8 minute NPR (natural pressure release) and then release any remaining pressure. After the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped, open the pot. Leave on ‘Keep Warm’.
- Add Cream Cheese & Lime Juice: Add the cream cheese and lime juice to the pot and mix until cream cheese has fully melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!