When you try this Cajun Creamed Corn you will want to eat the whole batch! This stuff is what dreams are made of. It makes a perfect side dish for so many meals, and it is so easy to make. You can prepare the rest of your meal and while it cooks, you can quickly make this spicy creamed corn on the stove.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure.
In about 10 minutes, you will have the creamiest, most delicious creamed corn that has just the right amount of Cajun kick to it. It’s so good, you’ll want to make it every day! Which you probably shouldn’t, but who am I to tell you how to live your life!
Cajun Creamed Corn Ingredients
This Cajun Creamed Corn recipe is easy and requires only a handful of ingredients. I’ll go through them for you to let you know exactly what I used. Let’s get started!
- Whole Kernel Corn: You’ll need 3 cans of whole kernel corn, drained. Any brand will do. These are 15.25 oz cans.
- Diced Green Chiles: You will need 1 can of diced green chiles, also drained. These are the mini cans that are 4 oz.
- Whole Milk: You will use ½ cup of whole milk. I wouldn’t recommend using skim milk, but you would probably be OK with 2%.
- Unsalted Butter: You’ll need ½ cup of unsalted butter which is one stick. Any brand of butter works great.
- Sugar: The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of sugar. You’ll need regular granulated sugar.
- Creole Seasoning: You’ll use 1 tablespoon of Creole Seasoning. I love using Tony Chachere’s and I always have it on hand but you can use another brand, just make sure it’s Creole seasoning.
- Heavy Cream: You’ll need only ¼ cup of heavy cream. Heavy cream will make this spicy corn very nice and creamy!
- All-Purpose Flour: You will use 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to thicken the corn. If you don’t have flour, corn starch would be your best bet.
- Cream Cheese: Finally, you need 8 ounces of cream cheese. This will be your finishing touch for this yummy creamed corn!
That’s it! All pretty basic ingredients most of us have on hand.
Substitutions for This Creamed Corn Recipe
I always get so many questions about substituting items in recipes. Below are the questions that you’re most likely going to ask me so I’ve gone ahead and answered them for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them in the comments.
Can I use low-fat cream cheese?
I would not recommend using low-fat cream cheese for this recipe. It’s a very creamy recipe and the full fat cream cheese will give you the perfect consistency and flavor.
Can I use frozen corn?
You can definitely use frozen corn instead of canned. Just make sure you pay attention to the amount of frozen corn versus the amount of canned corn the recipe calls for.
Can I use jalapeños instead of green chiles?
You can definitely use jalapeños instead of green chiles if you like things spicy! We’ve used both and they both give great results. Just keep in mind the jalapeños will make the dish spicier.
What to Make With Creamed Corn
This Cajun Creamed Corn recipe makes a perfect side dish for so many meals. We love making it when we make my Simple Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs or Mexican Baked Chicken Breasts. I also like to serve it as a side when I make sheet-pan fajitas!
This spicy creamed corn would also be amazing with a juicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork or any other BBQ type meal. Yum! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! And sometimes, I eat a bowl of it by itself as a snack because it’s that good!
Here are some essential prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Here is a list of the products featured in this post or products similar to those featured in this post:
There are only a few steps to making this easy Cajun Creamed Corn. You’ll need a large skillet and a stove. I love my skillet because it’s dishwasher safe and it works amazingly! Let’s get started making this delicious creamed corn recipe.
Add the corn, milk, green chiles, butter, sugar, and Creole seasoning to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and continue to stir until the butter has completely melted.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and the flour until you have a smooth slurry. Stir the mixture into the corn and continue to cook over medium heat, periodically stirring, until the mixture is thickened and the corn is warmed through.
Finally, add the cream cheese to the skillet. I like to cut it into small cubes to speed up the melting process. Mix the cream cheese into the corn until it’s all melted.
That’s it! In about 10 minutes you have the most delicious Cajun Creamed Corn ever! You can now serve this wonderful side dish and enjoy! Top it with some crumbled queso fresco to give it a nice finishing touch! Pair it with your favorite meal and enjoy the creamy perfection!
I know you will love this Cajun Creamed Corn recipe as much as my family does! Please let me know in the comments when you try it! If you loved this recipe, I bet you’ll love my Easy Corn Souffle.
Cajun Creamed Corn
SWEET CORN, GREEN CHILES, CREOLE SEASONING, CREAM CHEESE, AND HEAVY CREAM
- 3 cans whole kernel corn drained, 15.25 ounces each
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 can diced green chiles mild, drained, 4 ounces
- ½ cup butter (unsalted) 1 stick
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning I prefer Tony Chachere’s
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour may substitute for 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the corn, milk, green chiles, butter, sugar, and Creole seasoning. Cook and stir until the butter has fully melted.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and flour until combined and then stir into the corn.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, periodically stirring, until the mixture is thickened and the corn is warmed through. About 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and mix in until fully melted.
- Serve hot and enjoy!