When I found out I could make Dulce de Leche in the Instant Pot, I just about jumped for joy! This stuff is awesome! I’ve been eating it all my life. In Honduras, we use it in so many ways but I personally like to eat it straight from the spoon with no regard for politeness!!
My brother-in-law, who is from Venezuela, is a huge fan of Dulce de Leche and I remember he used to boil the cans of condensed milk on the stove for hours (I mean 3-4 hours!) until the condensed milk turned into Dulce de Leche. I’m guessing he will want to invest in an Instant Pot after he reads this!
Pin it to Pinterest
Save this Dulce de Leche recipe to Pinterest.
One Ingredient Dulce de Leche
It doesn’t get any easier than this folks! Have a can of condensed milk and an Instant Pot? You can make Dulce de Leche!
Creamy and Delicious Homemade Dulce de Leche
This Dulce de Leche is absolutely perfect. You can eat it with apples, use it to top cheesecakes, or cakes, eat it straight from the spoon, and so many other ways! It also makes a perfect homemade gift for friends and family.
Just a few simple steps and you’ll be enjoying some creamy and delicious homemade Dulce de Leche ….. Here we go!
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Appliances & Cookware
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the items I used to prep and make this Dulce de Leche recipe:
- You will need a large measuring cup to fill up the pot with water up until about a half inch below the lids.
- When handling anything hot that comes out of the Instant Pot, I always slip on my mini mitts. They’re so easy and convenient!
- This mini silicone spatula is great for scraping every last bit of sweetened condensed milk out of the can.
- I just use my tongs to lift the hot jars out of the pot but one of these jar lifters would be a much better tool to use.
- When the jars come out of the pot, they are super hot. You don’t want to place them directly on the countertop, so a good cutting board is a must.
Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories. You’ll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your electric pressure cooker.
Making Dulce de Leche in the Instant Pot
Here are the simple steps you need to follow to make your own homemade Dulce de Leche.
What You’ll Need
A few cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk and some mason jars. That’s it!
Prep the Mason Jars
Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the mason jars. I like to use the smaller jars so I can fit several in the pot at a time. I usually fill up two jars from one can of condensed milk.
Make sure and scrape every last bit out of the can. Don’t want to waste this deliciousness. This mini spatula is perfect for scraping cans!
Put the lids on the jars and tighten by hand, just tight enough to close, not too tight.
Place the Mason Jars in the Instant Pot
Place your trivet in the Instant Pot and arrange the jars on top of the trivet.
Now you have to fill up the pot with water to just about half an inch below the bottom part of the lids. I can’t tell you exactly how much water that is since it depends on the size of your pot and the size of your jars.
Set Your Instant Pot
Set the Instant Pot on Manual High Pressure for 35 minutes. (On newer models the Manual button has been replaced by the Pressure Cook button) Once cooking has completed, you will do an NPR (natural pressure release).
Allow the Jars to Cool
Remove the jars from the Instant Pot and allow them to sit until they are cool to the touch. Resist the urge to touch or open them.
Open and Stir the Dulce de Leche
Once the jars have cooled, open each one. This is what they will look like.
You will need to mix each jar until it reaches a smooth consistency. At first, it will look a little clumpy.
After a couple of minutes of stirring, you will have a smooth Dulce de Leche. I have never needed to use anything other than a spoon to get them to be this smooth.
Enjoy Your Instant Pot Dulce de Leche
Once smooth, your Dulce de Leche is now ready to eat. If you don’t eat the whole jar immediately (because who does that, right? Not me, that’s for sure), then you’ll want to put the jars in the refrigerator for storing.
These make perfect gifts! Wrap a jar up in cellophane paper with a couple of beautiful apples, and it’s an inexpensive but wonderful homemade gift!
You know you want to go make some right now! Go look for a can of condensed milk. You’ll thank me later!
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche
A deliciously rich and sweet Latin American caramel spread
- Fill up jars with sweetened condensed milk.
- Place lids on jars and tighten by hand (not too tight) and then place the jars on the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Fill the pot with water up to about a half inch below the bottom of the lids.
- Close the Instant Pot, set it to Sealing and cook on "Manual / Pressure Cook" for 35 minutes on High Pressure. Once cooking has completed, do a full NPR (natural pressure release).
- Once the pressure has been fully released, open the pot, remove the jars carefully (they are extremely hot) and let them cool on a cooling rack or cutting board.
- Once the jars are very cool to the touch, remove the lids (they can sometimes be difficult to remove, so be careful not to cut yourself on the lid).
- Use a spoon to stir the Dulce de Leche until it is smooth.
- Once smooth, it is ready to enjoy.
While every effort is made to correctly calculate these nutritional facts, they should be used as general guidance as they may not be 100% accurate.
Some things you should know about this Instant Pot Dulce de Leche recipe.
Refrigerate. Make sure to put the jars in the refrigerator for storing.
Here are a few ideas for serving your Instant Pot Dulce de Leche.
Enjoying your dulce de leche. Serve it with apples, or ice cream, use it to top cheesecakes, or cakes, or eat it straight from the jar!